Dental Ozone — Pain-Free and Safe
Dental ozone is one of healthcare’s latest advances in the United States. It has been used in Europe for many years. It offers a safe way to treat your cavities and gum disease, reverse decay, and increase your healthy tissue — pain-free.
What is Ozone?
Ozone is one of nature’s most effective killers of viruses, bacteria, and fungi. It’s made up of 3 oxygen atoms. How does it work? It’s easy! It disinfects the treated area in a safe and effective manner by producing what’s called a “transient oxidative burst.” This energized oxygen is harmless to the body and is so powerful it stops germs from reproducing and destroying things!
When is Dental Ozone Used?
Dental ozone is used for both children and adults. It is often helpful in treating:
- Gum Disease – the healing process can be helped by applying ozonated water and/or ozone gas to the gum line and surrounding tissues
- Root canal therapy – ozone can be used for several purposes, including sterilizing the canal system, stimulating faster healing, and killing bacteria. Because it is a gas, ozone can reach tiny areas in the tooth that could not otherwise be treated, resulting in a truly sterile system
- Decay – ozone will kill bacteria on contact, and it can get into hard-to-reach areas below the gum line and into the grooves of teeth
- Sensitivity – flooding a sensitive dental area with ozone gas can harden the structure, resulting in significantly less sensitivity
We also use it for:
- Pain control
- Cold sores
- Bad breath
- Exposed root surfaces
At Live Well Dental we use a small hand piece to focus the ozone gas directly on the area that needs it. Ozone treatment can range from 60 seconds to 10 minutes. In many cases, and for best results, multiple applications are recommended.
How is Ozone Better?
Ozone treatments offer you many benefits over the traditional treatments for cavities and gum disease. We use it for our own dental care too.
- Instead of drilling and filling
- No pain — no injections
- Shorter procedure and faster healing
- No side effects
- Minimally invasive
- Less removal of healthy tooth
- Improves sterilization
- Improves infection control
- Long-lasting results
When you use traditional drilling and filling of cavities, it leaves less of your original healthy tooth. Every time your filling is replaced, it gets bigger. You’re left with a weaker tooth that needs continued filling — restoration — or removal.
How Does Dental Ozone Help Sensitive Roots?
Dental ozone typically gets rid of painful, exposed roots by forming a seal on top of the root. This creates a second layer, preventing pain when you eat and drink. You might feel a little discomfort for 15 to 20 seconds, but then it’s usually gone.
Many patients can eat and drink without pain only 5 to 10 minutes after Dr. Chang or Dr. Hague treat their teeth.
How Does Ozone Reverse Tooth Decay?
Ozone reverses the tooth decay process by:
- Replacing bad bacteria with good bacteria
- Keeping the bacteria from growing
- Allowing your tooth structure to replace minerals — remineralizing
Early cavities can heal because the ozone kills off the bacteria and changes the chemical environment in your mouth.
Is Dental Ozone Safe?
Dental Ozone is very safe for people and the environment. Did you know that our bodies make it naturally?
Hospitals have used it for a long time to sterilize operating rooms, treat diseases, and speed healing. It’s also used to sterilize food and water supplies around the world.
Ozone doesn’t harm us when delivered in low concentrations. Plus, Dr. Chang can easily control where and how much they are using. If there’s any leftover gas, it quickly turns into pure oxygen.